There are no categories
Central Heating Maintenance: Powerflushing Explained
The M J Burt plumbing and heating experts explain how powerflushing can keep your boiler and central heating system running smoothly and efficiently.
Powerflushing is a process used to remove rust, sludge and sediment from within your central heating system. If untreated, this build-up of debris in the system can cause your central heating system to become inefficient, cause boiler breakdowns and, in some cases, may result in a new boiler being required. It can also cause blockages, which stop heat from circulating around the system correctly and often cause ‘cold spots’ in your radiators.
How does powerflushing work?
Power flushing uses a machine to force water through your heating system at low pressure but high speed. This water contains a specially formulated cleaning chemical and is forced through each radiator as well as through the entire system. Once this process is complete, the sludge and corrosion debris will have been removed from the system. The system is then refilled with clean water, adding an inhibitor to protect the system.
How do I know if my system needs powerflushing?
Signs that your central heating system requires powerflushing are:
- Cold spots on radiators, often near the bottom
- Heating is slow to warm up
- Pipes are hot but radiators remain cold
- Not all radiators are the same temperature
- Boiler makes banging or loud noises
- Boiler overheats and often needs resetting
- Black water comes from the radiators when they are ‘bled’
If any of these symptoms sound familiar, we suggest calling in the professionals to take a look. You can call Lewis at M J Burt Property Maintenance today on 07766 894833 or complete the online booking form.
What are the benefits of powerflushing my heating system?
There are many benefits to having your system powerflushed:
- Your heating system will be more efficient thus reducing your heating bills
- You will increase the lifespan of your boiler
- Your boiler will be less likely to break down
- Radiators will heat up quicker and get hotter
- Your boiler will be quieter
How much does a powerflush cost?
This will depend on a number of different factors which could include:
- The size and set up of the heating system
- Number of radiators in the system
- Age of the system, for example boiler, pipework, radiators
We often recommend fitting a magnetic filter to your heating system once the powerflush has been carried out. This will help to pick up rust and sediment as it travels around the central heating system, preventing possible future damage.