• Plumbing & Heating
  • Bathroom Installation
  • Property Renovations & Repairs

Do You Need a Gas Safety Certificate for a New Boiler Installation?


Thinking about getting a new boiler installed? You might have come across the term "gas safety certificate" in your research and wondered what it means, why it's important, and whether you'll need one after your boiler is fitted. Well, that's where the expert engineers at M J Burt come in! Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about gas safety certificates for new boiler installations, whether you're a landlord or a homeowner.

What is a gas safety certificate?

"Gas safety certificate" isn't an official title - rather, it's a term used to refer to the documentation a Gas Safe registered engineer provides after working on your gas appliances. There are two main types:

  • Landlord Gas Safety Record: This is the most common type. A Landlord Gas Safety Record is a document that records the results of a mandatory annual gas safety check performed on all gas appliances and flues in a rental property. It's issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer after they've inspected the appliances.
  • Building Regulations Compliance Certificate: This is a different type of certificate you might receive if a Gas Safe engineer installs a new gas appliance in your home. This certificate is essentially a way of informing the local authority about the new appliance. You should receive this certificate in the post within 28 days of the installation.

Do homeowners need a gas safety certificate for a new boiler installation?

Yes, you need a gas safety certificate - more specifically, a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate - when getting a new boiler installed in your home or commercial property.

The certificate confirms the boiler was installed safely and adheres to current building regulations. While you aren't directly responsible for notifying the local authority, the Gas Safe registered engineer who installs the boiler should handle this process.

After the engineer has installed your new boiler, they'll notify your local authority through the Gas Safe Register within 30 days of installation. You should receive the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate in the post within 10-15 days afterwards.

It's important to keep this certificate safe for two main reasons:

  • Some insurance companies may require the certificate as proof that the boiler installation met safety regulations.
  • Potential buyers may request the certificate during the conveyancing process.

If you don't receive the certificate or lose it, you can order a replacement for a small fee on the Gas Safe Register's website.

Do landlords need a gas safety certificate for a new boiler installation?

Yes. According to The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, landlords are legally required to have a gas certificate, specifically a Landlord Gas Safety Record, for all new boiler installations. This also applies to businesses such as hotels, B&Bs, colleges, boarding schools, and hostels.

After a new boiler is installed by a Gas Safe registered engineer, they'll issue a gas safety Landlord Gas Safety Record. This record confirms that the new boiler has been installed correctly and is safe to use. You, as the landlord, are required to keep this record for two years and provide a copy to your tenants within 28 days of the check and to any new tenants before they move in.

In addition to the initial gas safety certificate for the new installation, landlords are required to obtain an annual gas safety check for all gas appliances and flues. This annual check must also be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and the results are recorded on the Landlord Gas Safety Record, which must be provided to tenants within 28 days of the check.

If you misplace your Landlord Gas Safety Record, contact the engineer who performed the check or ask your tenants. They might be able to provide you with a duplicate copy. If not, you'll need to re-book a gas safety check with a registered engineer.

Get peace of mind with a compliant new boiler installation by M J Burt

Tired of worrying about your new boiler installation? Let M J Burt give you peace of mind.

We install boilers in homes, businesses, and rentals across Poole and Bournemouth. Our Gas Safe registered engineers are experts in fitting all major brands, and have the know-how to keep your new system running smoothly and efficiently for years to come.

We handle everything from initial consultation to post-installation paperwork, including issuing the right certificate for your property. We also offer annual gas safety checks to keep your peace of mind lasting.

Ready to get started? Get a free quote online or call us on 01202 721955 today!

Google Rating
Based on +10 reviews